Monday, September 30, 2013

Mount Moosilauke

Sept 29,2013
We left Cape Cod early at 6 and headed our ways out for White Mountain adventure, new people for me to hike with this week. My comrades would be Dan, Paul and AJ, all local cape people, two who had never hiked before. We parked at Beaver Brook, which I had hiked the opposite side trail before.
We were without an offical trail map, mostly because I had looked over the trail several times and felt comfortable enough to make this trip. Beaver Brook to the AT link, this section I personally could have stayed on, taken a million pictures and never left.
Beaver Brook, Lower falls.   
The trail is then marked with a caution sign, extremely challenging, can be slippery with water and ice. This did not deter the two new hikers, nor myself. I would say this could be very dangerous in the right condition, the rocks this sunday were wet but not slippery and the climb was not to overly stressful on the body. Plus climbing up rock that has stairs in the majority of it isn't much of hiking its more of walking up a hill. Including with rails on most of the parts, this I think is a great idea, seeing how in the rain or snow, this would be one giant slip and slide. The river drops down for about a half a mile full falls, so worth just enjoying it, we took our first break about mid way through got some great pictures.
Over a mile of falls, nature claims trees.  



Onward, you pass Beaver Brook shelter, my comrades had passed on way ahead so I still have not got to seen one of these magical places, but next time. This small section is part of the AT, and not really of a giant incline, again more rock than root but alot of trees covered in moss, and if you look closely you can see how the water has washed away alot of the lesser plants, lots of birds sing here, I think its from stealing food from hikers. A decent rock formations stand on each side if you go slow enough and look. You have several turns on this trail that bring you to the opposite side of the mountain and off the AT. This small area is made for the slower moving want to see natures finest you get a mid line view of all your surrounding mountains.
 Junction to Summit climb, several winding paths, more rock, zero root on this section, the dirt is barely visable under the mud, moss has taken over most of this section on the lower. The rocks here are larger more stable for your step, I personally had alot of confidence here and breezed through this section, there wasn't alot of jump out at you area, its a dirt winding path through mud and surrounded by small trees and mud, not a giant view but I did find in this section the only one red flower. It caught my eye and i had to stop and take a picture.
Even the smallest refused to quit.
Peak to Summit, thing old fashioned hey-style grass, with the carines, I loved the peak, I loved the summit, my words for the view, couldn't even touch what you see. From my heart I will tell you the view is to live for, you have Mount Washington on one side, Vermont on the other, and lower NH. If you get the chance this peak is worth spending some time, just basking in how small you are compared to the sky. We had a mild lunch, shared a drink, I poked around, talked to some locals just trying to meet more like minded people. Well worth it, overall 10 mile up and back. Look forward to more. Hope to meet you all out on the trails, be great, keep smiling!
        
Third of 4000 club down.

No comments:

Post a Comment