Monday, September 16, 2013

48 Flags on the Summit Mount Hancock

Mount Hancock is a set of twin peak mountains, North/South Peaks. We arrived early in the morning for the 48 Flags on the Summit event. The fog rose from the forest hiding the summits surrounding us. We met the second group, whom were very nice and friendly and prepared ourselves for the 10 mile lollipop hike. Starting out, the trail to North peak is flat, gravel rocky, white mostly with a river running to the left side of the trail. About a mile in is your first of five crossings, some very easy some not so much.
Tarik, Jessy and Ian crossing section one. You couldn't ask for better people to be with.  

After another two crossings several where you have to be careful of loose rock, slippery rock (more on that in a bit) and just plain no place to go but leap of faith. The second crossing demanded a sacrifice, and took my sunglasses, my leap of faith wasn't high enough, and took a one footer into the river. Not so much a big deal just squishy toes for the rest of the trip. After another crossing you meet were root and rock take form, this begins the north ascent and were I learned I'm not where as fast as my comrades in arms. I lagged behind, taking pictures here and there, exploring the moss covered forest but still pushing myself as fast as I personally could. This trail was something you have to enjoy, mini falls, rocks covered in moss, and fallen trees. You can see the elements of nature fighting for survival. Impressive is an understatement.
  North Peak trail .07 miles, doesn't even sound like much, except its directly up, its very loose rock, it makes you watch your step, and your poles get stuck into the ground. This challenged me, this slowed me down, and this made me frustrated not because the trail was hard, because I felt I should have been doing better. I fell far behind, Ian would wait up every five or so minutes and keep pushing me, driving me on, this helped alot, and I always sugguest having great friends with you.
North Peak Summit, we arrived early for our noon time for the flag raising, it felt good, i was beat from the climb and it showed. We found some amazing birds that would eat from your hand, head (Don't ask) and very friendly, I found a spot on the rocks, to lay and hope the fog would rise, sadly it never did. We could hear the helicopters, but we couldn't see them, everywhere was surrounded in grey. This was the cool down, getting cold, not moving, till 2, and my body started to give me the I'm shaking. Make a note be prepared, if it wasn't for Ian again, I would have been without a coat, and freezing, from my previous hikes I was never close to a 4000 footer, its really cold when you have down time.
Jessy(left)Ian(Top-left)Tarik(right)(Your fearless blogger middle)
Ridge Trail from North Peak to South Peak, we got moving again, warming the body up, this trail itself wasn't bad, infact it was a welcome break a slight incline coming up to South Peak but really straight forward, roots not rocks, keep moving forward feeling. I would love to include detail more but think dense woods with moss, you really couldn't see much else but fog around us. Steven King's the Mist, yup perfectly fit in the mood. Plus Yeti's.
  South Peak 4000 #2, South peak didn't seem bad at the top, we got a breather, and this would be our descent down path, the four of us decided at this point sitting and resting would just make us cold again, and we would move forward.Once again I was at my pace, and fell behind, even trying to push myself, I was ahead of group two, but couldn't keep up, plus King the Siberan Husky I think was taunting me the entire time as he had no issues moving down the mountain. Great dog, full of heart.
Crossing the river, this time was my downfall, I made it across the first go, the second go, I lost my footing, slipped and went down pretty bad. I felt the knee hit the rock and my elbow hit harder. Frustration set in, I was careless, and angry and trying to move fast , losing my footing, losing my poles. I believe the mountains wanted Blood and it demanded it from me. The second group had caught up to me and saw me fall. Good people wanting me to sit down to try to bandage myself. I wasn't dead, I wasn't done. After taking a breather, making sure nothing was broken, there was only one choice I would make get up, and keep going. By then the news that I had fell caught up with everyone else and they were worried. I wasn't ready to give up not when we were so close to finshing, we pushed forward, through the last couple miles, and it was good to finish with my friends. We headed back to our camp for the night, to cheer the mountains, ourselves and to friendship. I look forward to taking on the other 46 with them.
I learned alot about myself,my friends, and how people on a trail are there to help each other. I couldn't imagine being out there without them, thank you for inviting me, thank you for coming, thank you for being you. I am blessed to have you all, and love each one of you for these memories, more I hope in the future ~~Derek
48 Flags (9-11) Hike to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment