Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Early Spring Bear Mountain, CT
Nine miles, to me at the time sounded like torture, I mean I was out of shape, not really understanding what it means to get up and go. But this is where the itch got scratched, and really changed my outlook. My good friend Ian who has walked this before was my guide, and showed me the ups and downs of hiking, yes that was a corny joke but I laughed to myself.
The cool part of this hike is its part of the Appalachian Trail, I'm fairly sure you know it runs from down south in Georgia to the upmost of Maine.  It was my first section and made me feel really good about myself. When people say the first mile, you feel it, this is what made me experience that. About one mile in it starts to get very steep, and you feel the burn in your legs. When you hit the second wind, it all goes away. Bear has some very rocky, go slow, watch your step trails, as well as go at your own pace not so hard. I believe we took the harder path, which in life thats what I want to do.
Your fearless Blogger.   
On the top of Bear is a giant rock pile, where we met an AMC guide who was counting people as they hiked, really cool guy, shared a bite to eat with him, talked trails. This is where I learned people hiking are honestly the nicest people on earth. We are all out there for different reasons, together we all love what we do. We had a decent lunch and decided to take the circle path back, going down, the rocks where very steep, and you had to put one pole in front of you. This made me appericate, the s turn, you know when you walk going left to right so you don't break your bones. Finally crossed the swamp back, which was a little bit rocky and wet. Back to the starting point, 9 miles, honestly didn't feel like it till the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment