Saturday, October 25, 2014

Mount Washington Round 2

We started at night hiking up to Tuckerman's Ravine, my first actual night hike. I was a bit slow moving. Luckily it was only a 2.2 mile to our first shelter. The stars were out bright, and it was actually warm to start off. We made it to our first shelter and there was two guys taking time lapsed pictures, kinda neat. Tucks itself was not icey or slippery. It was a really enjoyable walk not very stressful. We unpacked, had some dinner and then hit bed for an early rise. (Note, from my hiking comrades, I snore now)
Next morning we got up at a respectable 8 am ish, had some snacks and headed up tucks, It was a very warm start, after we hit the pumps.  Tucks wasn't so bad going up till we reached mid point, the temp started to drop and we could see ice formed on the falls. Pretty neat can't wait till I get up there during the winter. I was a bit moving slow going up, not really pain just slow moving today, had a full pack is much different than going with a day pack. 

Boulder field was super slow moving, with ice and snow, but we still made decent time to the peak. Lot of people out mid afternoon hiking, which was suprising to me since it was kinda cold. More automile drivers wanting to get a sign picture but this go around, they were much more respectable for the hikers who put in the effort to get up there. Peak was cold, maybe 20's/30s tops but there was warm food and I had been looking for breakfest. This path I had taken before, so not to much new except slower movement to be safe. We were going over Mount Clay after lunch which was totally new, so i was excited.
Doot,Nicky,Ian (Back row) Neil, Chris (Front row)
Let me be upforward, I really enjoy hiking with this crew, Nicky is the happy go lucky singing person, Ian is the "Keep going one more hill", Chris is the first scout out ahead make sure we are going where we are going, and Neil is one of those this is the greatest ever days. Even though I lagged behind massively, I never felt Hey I'm hurting these guys. Mount Clay was amazing, well worth climbing up some massive rocks to get to, the view while not as Mount Washington amazing, had a pond sitting in the middle of the valley, some gliders rocking out in the sky. We were burning daylight but Neil/ Chris and Nicky headed ahead of us to get out before the sky fell dark, Ian stuck behind with me and we moved at the turtles pace i was going. While my body wasn't hurting to much going down Grey was intense, rock slippery (Yes I fell on my face), Ice covered, darkness lost. This section was tough, and I mean at the end after walking in darkness over some of the most crazy rocks I have ever seen, I was very happy to put feet on pavement. I hurt for two days after, lots of step downs, very very slippery. I can't imagine doing that in the later winter, I forsee snails pace and some spikes.



No comments:

Post a Comment